SCMPCR E-learning Program (ELP-05): Advanced Techniques in Radiotherapy, October-2021
We are pleased to announce that, the South Asia Centre for Medical Physics and Cancer Research (SCMPCR), a project of Alo Bhubon Trust in collaboration with the United International University (UIU) is going to organize an online course titled “SCMPCR ELP-05: Advanced Techniques in Radiotherapy” from 1st October 2021 – 22nd October 2021. The course aims to disseminate the knowledge and practical skills required to implement advanced radiotherapy techniques safely and efficiently. The course has been accredited by the International Organization of Medical Physics (IOMP) with 18 CPD Credit Points. We expect the support and active participation from the medical physicists and related personals all over the world to achieve our goal.
Learning objectives of the program
This is a course with series of lectures where the participants will go through step-by-step demonstration of various advance techniques in radiotherapy. Although modern radiation therapy is a group effort of physicians, Medical Physicists, Technician and Nurses. This course aims at Medical Physicists only. In this way we will be able to give an overview of the steps in modern radiation therapy with highly experienced and qualified experts for Medical Physicists specific tools and skills. The complete course will include 8 lectures by 7 speakers and a group discussion session with all the speakers will be held.
The learning objectives of the e-learning program is:
- To develop theoretical knowledge and latest clinical experience on Modern Radiotherapy Techniques and Advanced Clinical Applications for the Medical Physicists of all over the world.
- Provide knowledge and understanding of physics relevant to modern clinical radiotherapy
- Provide comprehensive overviews of imaging and volume concepts in radiotherapy
- Discuss modern dose delivery techniques, such as IMRT, rotational therapy (VMAT, helical tomotherapy), SBRT, IGRT, particle therapy, Machine Learning in Radiotherapy and Imaging Modalities Used in the Advanced Techniques of Radiotherapy.
- Discuss safety issues in lectures on commissioning and QA/QC, radiation protection, in vivo dosimetry and induction of secondary tumours.
- Complimentary to the lectures, this course has clinical case discussions with all the speakers as an important component. The case discussions aim at teaching physics by practical application in treatment planning.
By the end of this course participants should be able to:
- Describe, at least in qualitative terms, the treatment planning process, algorithm and potential issues with all elements involved in modern RT techniques.
- Analyse/judge treatment plans with regard to the applicability, safety, and efficacy.
- Know the image acquisition, patient positioning and immobilization process.
- Summarize the overall physical and clinical outcomes.
- Discuss and select modern treatment techniques based on their pros and cons
- Select physics and technical measures that enhance effective and safe application of radiation therapy
The course is also suitable for
- Post Graduate Students of medical physics
- Medical Physicists early in their career and eager to update their knowledge on physics and technical aspects of Radiotherapy
- Medical Physicist from Institutes / Hospitals
- Researcher and academicians from medical physics faculty
- Dosimetrists and radiation technologists having a strong interest in the application of physics and technology in radiotherapy.
- PhD students in radiation therapy or physics.
- Dr. Golam Abu Zakaria, Germany
- Dr. Hasin Anupama Azhari, Bangladesh
- Dipl.-Ing. Volker Steil, Italy
- Pietro Mancosu, Italy
- Dr. rer. nat. Oliver Jäkel, Germany
- Dipl.-Ing. Natasa Milickovic, Germany
- Hidetoshi Shimizu, Japan
- Dr. Sung Yong Park, Singapore
- Leonard Wee, Netherland
- J. Jeyasugiththan, Sri Lanka
- Jeevanshu Jain, India
- Mandvi Dixit, India
- Suresh Poudel, Nepal
- K M Masud Rana, Bangladesh
- Mohammad Ullah Shemanto, SCMPCR Office
- The lectures will be in a familiar format, introduced a specific topic by means of a presentation, with chat box and polling option for interaction with the lecturers by using Zoom Video Conferencing System.
- After the lecture there will be a Q & A session for 15 minutes.
- Study materials related to the lectures will be provided to the participants after each lecture.
- A group discussion session will be held with all the speakers and participants.
- A limited number of participants will be selected to successfully proceed the course.
- At the end of the course there will be an examination to judge the learning outcomes of the participants.
- The examination procedure will be strictly maintained by the organizing committee and the answer script will be evaluated by the speakers.
Evaluation and quality assurance.
An evaluation of the program by the speakers and participants will be executed for further improvement of the e-learning program. It is an option for judging the program by the participants and the speakers and used for continuous improvements in the successive programs. Regarding this SCMPCR will provide evaluation form through link to the participants and speakers at the end of the course.